Who and what can we support?
We provide grants for not-for-profit organisations and local government authorities. Not-for-profit organisations can range from small unincorporated groups to large multi-functional organisations. Grants can support charitable or benevolent purposes.
What don’t we support?
While we try to support any initiative that comes our way, to make sure we are meeting requirements for grants to support charitable or benevolent purposes and good grant making, there are some restrictions on what may be supported such as:
- Competitive sporting activities (e.g. equipment or a vehicle that will support competitive sporting games)
- Activities and assets that are core school responsibilities (e.g. playground equipment for schools or education materials). There may be scope to support for projects linked to schools that meet a community identified need
- Interstate or overseas projects (including those located on Christmas Island or Cocos (Keeling) Islands). However, we can consider projects run by international or national groups where the project will take place in WA or be of direct benefit to WA
- Ongoing operating costs, other than in an emergency or for projects with an end date. Where relevant we ask for projects with an internal wage component to have a sustainability plan beyond Lotterywest support
- Promotion of a particular religious or spiritual philosophy. Our support to faith based groups focuses on welfare and community service activities that are not of a religious nature
- Retrospective requests
- Costs associated with the core delivery of a service purchased by local, State and Federal Governments
Call us if you'd like to check your initiative and if there is any scope for us to provide support.
What do we look for?
For an organisation to be supported with a grant we look for evidence of ‘good governance’. We look to ensure your organisation is well managed and operated to be confident that grant funding can be responsibly and reliably managed and that the project or items supported can be effectively delivered for the approved grant purpose.
How much can I ask for?
We accept applications from $1,000 upwards. Your application should request the amount you need to serve the purpose properly – make sure you don’t under or overestimate your request.
We don’t generally expect to be the only source of funding. Our grants should be used to complement other sources of support, including a contribution from your organisation's own resources. We can also help you to combine our grant with other sources of funding.
Are there limits on what I can apply for?
If you’re an unincorporated group or organisation not GST registered, you can apply for a combined total of up to $15,000 each financial year.
For all other applicants, we rarely impose a maximum on grant amounts. Grant type information will detail wherever a limit applies.
Is there anybody I can talk to before I apply?
Absolutely! We’re keen to work with you and understand your needs. Please call us before submitting an application, we’re here to listen, discuss and help.