Upgrades to Margaret River youth precinct
- $1.39 million Lotterywest grant presented to the Shire of Augusta Margaret River for redevelopment of the youth precinct
- New facilities expected to be completed by September 2017
Premier Colin Barnett today presented the Shire of Augusta Margaret River with a Lotterywest grant of $1.39 million towards the redevelopment of the Margaret River youth precinct on Wallcliffe Road.
The funding will cover upgrades to the skate park and includes a new adventure play area, nature play zone, landscaping, seating and youth art, to create a centralised hub for active participation.
Mr Barnett said the youth precinct was a popular destination for young people and the shire had identified the need for the facilities to be upgraded in response to demand for youth activities.
"The redevelopment will cater for a wide range of participants from a new dual use pathway for beginner skaters and riders, to an advanced skate and ride section that takes users to the next skill level," he said.
"There will also be planned spectator seating, with shade shelters to ensure all members of the community can be a part of the action and be comfortable during the heat of the day."
The planning and design of the redevelopment has involved young people from the local community, with multiple options explored for the skate facility.
"It is great to see young members of the community working together to identify the needs of their peers for this centralised community hub," the Premier said.
The planning of the redevelopment will complement the upgrade of the youth zone room, located adjacent to the skate park.
The redeveloped youth precinct is due to be completed by September 2017.
- The redevelopment of the youth precinct will include a new dual use pathway for young and beginner skaters/riders, an advanced skate/ride section, nature and adventure play spaces, spectator seating and shade shelters
- WA is the only State where money raised from lottery products is distributed directly back to the community to support not-for-profit organisations
- Last financial year, Lotterywest raised $283 million to support the WA community
- For more information, visit http://www.lotterywest.com.au/grants
Premier's office - 6552 5000