Life Saving grant for growing Yanchep community
- Lotterywest grant of $500,000 to the City of Wanneroo towards construction of a new Yanchep Surf Life Saving Club
- Yanchep Beach Lagoon the busiest beach in the City of Wanneroo
- New facility will cater for significant population growth in the area
A Lotterywest grant of $500,000, presented today by Premier Colin Barnett to the City of Wanneroo, will support the construction of a new Yanchep Surf Life Saving Club to increase community safety and service a rapidly growing community.
The need for the new facility was identified by the city through community-wide consultation. It will include a beach patrol office, first aid room, club and training rooms, and a member gymnasium, as well as public change rooms.
Mr Barnett said Yanchep Beach Lagoon was the busiest beach in the City of Wanneroo with Surf Life Saving WA records showing an average of about 130 visitors per hour during peak beach-going periods for the 2014-15 season and up to 700 an hour during the Christmas period.
"The new building and its location will significantly improve beach safety services and provide space to conduct training and social activities to build club membership and community partnerships."
The club will service residents, visitors and tourists who visit beaches at Yanchep and Two Rocks where the current population of about 10,000 is expected to quadruple within 20 years.
The Premier said the grant was an example of organisations working together to achieve positive outcomes for their local community.
"The City of Wanneroo recognised that Yanchep Surf Life Saving Club was a small volunteer organisation providing a vital community service. They have worked closely with the club throughout the project to ensure the design of the facility meets their needs and allows for use by other community groups," he said.
Construction on the new facility begins in January 2016 and is expected to be completed towards the end of 2016.
- The facility's total construction budget is $6.3 million (including building, hardstand and car parking) with the balance being met by the City of Wanneroo through its funds and the Developer Contribution Plan
- The new club facility will be located in front of the realigned Brazier Road
- WA is the only Australian State where money raised from lottery products is distributed directly back to the community
- For the full list of grants, visit http://www.lotterywest.wa.gov.au
Premier's office - 6552 5000