Social Value Analysis Project
Understanding our value
Lotterywest has been a vital part of Western Australia's community life since 1933.
The Social Value Analysis Project was started in 2012 to find out what was most valued about Lotterywest's grant making and community development activities - and what we could do better.
A special thank you to over 1,000 who took part in the Project which involved collecting stories, seeking community opinions and evaluating our support.
We collected stories from community organisations, government partners, former board members and Lotterywest retailers. They were asked to describe their thoughts on any significant changes (eg: to their staff, clients or sector) as a result of their experience with Lotterywest.
Workshops with staff, community representatives, board members, business and government partners, and retailers evaluated which stories were most significant and why.
We also used an online survey to invite feedback from the community. 929 responses were received.
- 96% of survey respondents agreed or strongly agreed that Lotterywest helps create a better community for WA.
- 90% of survey respondents strongly agreed or agreed that Lotterywest delivers value to the WA community.
- 82% of survey respondents knew that all of Lotterywest profits were returned to the community.
Evaluating Lotterywest support
We looked back at Lotterywest grants information and statistics, and current and emerging trends in the community sector. This information will be used to improve our service and shape future directions.
- $1.3 billion in Lotterywest grants was approved between 1990 and 2012 to support community groups and local government authorities.
- $502.5 million went to grants for buildings over this period.
- In 1990/91 a total of 1,420 grant applications was approved worth $24.5 million. In 2011/12 a total of 1,304 grant applications to the value of $117.9 million was approved.
What we learned
Stories collected and survey feedback showed overwhelming support for Lotterywest grants and community development activities, and the way we work with the community. Lotterywest was most valued for:
- building the capacity of not-for-profit organisations
- being an agent of change for the not-for-profit sector
- supporting innovation and taking a risk on important projects
Feedback on improving grants processes and promoting our community support will be used to support business development and improvements.
Find out more
Down load a flyer
email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact (08) 9340 5270 or 1800 655 270.
Contact email@example.com for publications of One Moment in Time in hard copy.