What we can support
- Planning (e.g. trails master plans; design and development of Aboriginal cultural trails)
- Construction (e.g. construction of trails for walking; mountain biking and horse riding)
- Upgrade (e.g. additional infrastructure such as a viewing platform; track signage improvements)
- Promotion and resources (e.g. website providing information on local trails; trail maps)
Please note that we are unable to support requests for maintenance. Consultation with The Department of Sport and Recreation (DSR) will form part of the assessment of all trails applications.
What we’re looking for
- A clearly established need for the trail
- Consultation and planning with trail users
- Trails that are open, accessible and designed for multiple users
- Community involvement in trail management, upkeep and promotion
- A consultant’s brief or project scope
- Agreement of stakeholders including local government(s) and land managers
- Strategies for trail promotion
- A trails management plan including trails management, maintenance and sustainability
- Design considerations and specifications
- Active involvement of Indigenous people and communities (as appropriate)
Note: Please call us if your project is on Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) or private land or if your project is primarily about interpretation (e.g. explaining and helping us to understand our natural or cultural heritage).
For Lotterywest to support trails that will be on DPaW or private land:
- All projects need to have been clearly initiated by the community
- The applicant needs to contribute resources to the project and have significant ongoing responsibility for it
- The applicant needs a secure long-term lease (or equivalent) for any permanent capital works structure on the land
What we need from you
- A completed Lotterywest community spaces outdoor grant application form
- Your organisation’s latest Annual Report (If you don’t have one, your AGM minutes and the most recent audited financial statements)
- A copy of your Constitution if you are a not-for-profit organisation
- Two written quotes for items over $3,000; a written estimate, advertised price, or one written quote for items under $3,000 (low value, miscellaneous items can be grouped together up to $1,000
If your group is unincorporated, there are other things we need from you. Find out more in our getting started section.
For a comprehensive list of tools and resources to guide you through the application process, visit the how to apply page.