Trails grants can help with the planning, development and promotion of all types of trails such as walking, cycling, horse riding and paddling routes.
- Planning – e.g. trails master plans; design and development of Aboriginal cultural trails.
- Construction – e.g. construction of trails for walking; mountain biking and horse riding.
- Upgrade – e.g. additional infrastructure such as a viewing platform; track signage improvements.
- Promotion and resources – e.g. website providing information on local trails; trail maps.
Consultation with The Department of Sport and Recreation (DSR) will form part of the assessment of every application. Before submitting an application, please contact your local DSR office for advice and specific assistance in completing your application. DSR’s contact details for regional offices can be found at on their website or by contacting the Trails Coordinator on 08 9492 9732 or the Perth Office on 08 9492 9700.
What we look for
- Community involvement in trail management, upkeep and promotion
- A consultant’s brief or project scope
- Trails designed for multiple users
- Consultations and planning with trail users
- Agreement of stakeholders including local government(s) and land managers
- Strategies for trail promotion
- A trails management plan including trails management, maintenance and sustainability
- Design considerations and specifications
- Active involvement of Indigenous people and communities (as appropriate)
Note: If your trails project is primarily about interpretation e.g. explaining and helping us to understand our natural or cultural heritage, please call us.
Documents we need
- A completed Lotterywest Projects Grant Application Form
- Your organisation’s latest Annual Report (If you don’t have one, your AGM minutes and the most recent audited financial statements)
- A copy of your Constitution if you are a not-for-profit organisation
- Two written quotes for items over $3,000; a written estimate, advertised price, or one written quote for items under $3,000 (low value, miscellaneous items can be grouped together up to $1,000
- If your group is unincorporated, there are other things we need. Please refer to what we need.