Developing your organisation helps you look ahead and grow. Lotterywest grants can help your organisation learn, explore options and plan for the future.
When to apply
Applications can be made at any time. Please note that applications must be made at least four months before you require a decision from Lotterywest.
Who can apply?
These grants are available to not-for-profit organisations and local government authorities.
What can we support?
We support all kinds of development activities that benefit your organisation and the WA not-for-profit sector including:
- Developing strategic, business, marketing and fundraising plans
- Undertaking feasibility studies, including for a sector wide initiative
- Setting up operating policies and procedures or training materials
- Developing sound financial, human resource or industrial relations practices
- Travelling to explore and establish best practice
- Training and development for volunteers and Board members
- Carrying out a staff training needs assessment
- Developing quality assurance strategies
- Awards initiatives that support a specific not-for-profit sector or broader community development activities
Any time limited costs can be considered, including professional and consultancy fees, printing, as well as staff relief and travel.
Most importantly, we want to understand what your needs and ideas are. Please talk to us.
Conferences (including seminars and workshops)
We may consider costs towards the hosting of a national or international conference or seminar including event management and promotion, speakers, venue hire and interpreting services.
We may also consider a contribution for travel, accommodation and subsidised registration fees for people who could not otherwise afford to attend a relevant, locally held conference or seminar. We may also support organisations to send delegate(s) to a conference or seminar. This may involve interstate or overseas travel if there is no suitable alternative within WA.
Please discuss your conference proposal with a member of our Grants team before making your application.
We may consider a grant up to $5,000 for an individual’s professional development to build management and leadership skills. Our grants may also support staff, volunteers and Board members for development activities where learning will be retained by the organisation and lead to improved effectiveness. We may consider up to 75% of costs such as course fees for education or training, travel and staff relief.
Lotterywest will consider providing grants for awards initiatives that support a specific not-for-profit sector or broader community development activities. The awards should achieve a strategic purpose with their value lasting beyond the event e.g. create an ongoing ambassadorial role for winners or contribute to the recruitment and retention of staff in a particular sector.
Lotterywest may contribute towards the costs of running awards initiatives that are not the responsibility of another government department or agency. This support may include travel and accommodation costs for regional and remote finalists and reasonable ticket subsidies to enable smaller organisations to attend the awards ceremony. Any grant support for award prizes must be spent on not-for-profit organisational development activities.
Lotterywest would not expect to be the principal funder for an awards initiative.
What we look for:
- Suitability of the development activity for your needs
- The impact the activity will have on your organisation or sector
- Likelihood of organisational improvement
- Benefits to clients and/or the community sector
- Opportunities to share the knowledge gained
- Opportunities to share new and innovative work, outcomes and experience
- Retained learning within your organisation
- Involvement of your Board, staff and volunteers
- Affordability, a sound budget and the inclusion of other income sources
- On-going benefits for your organisation/your sector/the community
Documents we need:
- A completed Lotterywest Grant Application Form
- Your latest Annual Report if you have one, or AGM minutes if you don’t and the most recent audited financial statements
- A copy of your Constitution
- Two written quotes for items over $3,000; a written estimate, advertised price, or one written quote for items under $3,000 (low value, miscellaneous items can be grouped together to $1,000)
- Minutes of the board meeting endorsing the proposal
- Full details of the conference or seminar including the program and proposed speakers and budget (if applicable)
- Details of how and why you selected any consultants involved and their credentials (if applicable)
- The individual’s curriculum vitae and a course outline (for professional development requests)
If your group is unincorporated, there are other things we need from you. Please refer to what we need.
Please see Resources and Links for more information.