You are here: Home / Grants / Grant types / Furniture and equipment

Furniture and equipment

Furniture and Equipment

The right tools make work a lot easier for any community organisation. That’s why Lotterywest provide grants for all kinds of equipment and furniture.

When to apply

Applications can be made at any time.

Who can apply?

These grants are available to not-for-profit organisations and local government authorities.

What can we support?

We support the purchase of furniture and equipment that meet your organisation’s needs. By way of example, grants can be for office items, telephone and filing systems, resource materials, whitegoods, toys, musical instruments and workshop tools.

We encourage you to think broadly and talk to us. We want to understand your needs and ideas.  Lotterywest offers other grants including information technology, vehicles and vehicle modifications (such as child restraints or wheelchair hoists) to help your organisation.  If your idea does not seem to fit this grant area, our other grant types may help.

What we look for:

How the equipment will benefit people

  • Suitability of the equipment for its purpose
  • Your organisation’s ability to maintain the equipment

Documents we need:

  • A completed Lotterywest Grant Application Form
  • Your latest Annual Report if you have one, or AGM minutes if you don’t and the most recent audited financial statements
  • A copy of your Constitution
  • Two written quotes for items over $3,000; a written estimate, advertised price, or one written quote for items under $3,000 (low value, miscellaneous items can be grouped together to $1,000)

If your group is unincorporated, there are other things we need from you. Please refer to what we need.

Grant examples

Here are some more examples of what our grants have helped:

  • Educational toys to support early learning activities for children
  • Office furniture for services supporting people with a disability
  • Storage equipment for family support services
  • Recreational equipment, such as indoor bowls, for people in aged care centres
  • Household furniture for people living with a mental illness in managed accommodation
  • Craft equipment for hobby groups such as needle craft and pottery
  • Meeting room furniture for a community centre
  • Diagnostic equipment for community-based preventative health services
  • Outdoor equipment for programs to support the personal development of young people
  • Tools for woodwork or metalwork groups that encourage people to take part in community activities
  • Domestic appliances for women’s refuges and senior’s centres
  • Machinery to repair and recycle toys for disadvantaged children in remote communities
  • Emergency equipment for organisations helping neglected animals
  • Crèche furniture for a recreation centre so that parents and carers can take part in health and well-being programs
  • Musical equipment for community bands performing at charity events

Lotterywest offers many other grants, including for information technology and website development. If your idea does not seem to fit this grant area, our other grant types may help.

More information for some:

If your kind of organisation is referred to below, we have specific information relevant to you.

Disability services (for applications to assist people receiving support through the Disability Services Commission Accommodation Support Program)

We provide grants for organisations to assist individuals supported through the Disability Service Commission’s Accommodation Support Program.

Grants of up to $2,500 (per person) are available towards household furniture and equipment for individuals moving into independent ‘living alone’ or ‘communal’ supported accommodation for the first time.

Organisations supporting people with a disability can also apply for other Lotterywest grants. Please refer our grant types for further information.

Disability Equipment Grants Program

The Lotterywest Disability Equipment Grants program is managed by the Independent Living Centre (ILC). The program assists individuals with a disability who are not able to afford specialised equipment.

All enquiries and applications should be directed to the ILC on 08 9381 0600 or
toll free 1300 885 886.

Community Living and Participation (People with disabilities)

Community Living and Participation Grants are available for equipment, resources, projects and activities that:

  • Enable people with disabilities to participate in recreational and social activities; and
  • Improve the quality of life for people with disability and their families.

The Community Living and Participation Grants is managed by National Disability Services Western Australia (NDS WA) and supported by Lotterywest.  For further information, please contact the NDS WA.

Emergency service organisations

  • St John Ambulance, Fire and Emergency Services and Surf Life Saving Clubs

Before applying for a grant please discuss your needs and seek endorsement from your head office or speak with us.

  • Beneficiaries of the Emergency Service Levy

If you are a beneficiary of the Fire and Emergency Services Authority (FESA) Emergency Service Levy, we can provide grants for items that cannot be accommodated within the FESA capital grant program and/or service contract arrangements.

Beneficiaries of the Levy are Volunteer State Emergency Service Units; Bush Fire Brigades; Emergency Services Units; Fire & Rescue Services and Fire Service Brigades.

  • Volunteer Marine Rescue Services

These grants are aimed at helping services with capital purchases that are essential to the delivery of sea search and rescue activities.

Mental health services (for applications supporting people moving to managed independent living properties)

We support organisations managing properties for independent living to assist people with a mental illness move to supported accommodation, for the first time.

Grants of up to $4,000 (per property) are available for essential household furniture and equipment. An additional amount of up to $1,000 will be considered for properties accommodating an individual and their family.

Organisations providing mental health services can also apply for other Lotterywest grants. Please refer our grant types for further information.

Scouts, Guides, Police and Citizens Youth Clubs, Army and Air Force Cadet Groups and Local Drug Action Groups

We provide annual grants towards the cost of minor capital works or equipment to the following types of youth groups:

  • Australian Army and Air Force Cadets
  • Guides
  • Police and Citizen Youth Clubs
  • Local Drug Action Groups
  • Scouts

Our support is generally provided through the relevant Head Office, which makes an annual grant application to Lotterywest on behalf of its member organisations.

Police Rangers Cadets, Navy Cadets, Emergency Services Cadets, St Johns Cadets, Surf Life Saving Cadets, Bush Rangers Cadets and River Ranger Cadets may apply for grants at any time.

Further resources

Please see Resources and Links for more information.

Document Actions

Grants Contact Us

Working for you