Communities flourish when there are places where people can come together. Lotterywest grants can help to develop all kinds of community spaces.
Please note: If your request is over $200,000 do not fill in an application form. Please call us and we can discuss the application process required.
When to apply
Applications can be made at any time. Grants for community spaces are often complex, we need to be involved from the outset. It is important that you talk to us first if your organisation is thinking about applying for this type of grant. A member of our Grants team will be happy to explore your idea with you and talk with you about what's needed to apply.
Who can apply?
These grants are available to not-for-profit organisations and local government authorities.
What can we support?
We support various types of community spaces. Our grants support both indoor areas, such as a community or interpretive centre, and outdoor facilities, including skate parks, playgrounds, memorials, and community gardens. We look to support spaces that encourage people to enjoy community life.
Our grants can cover the construction, purchase, renovation and fit out of a building, earthworks, play equipment, shade facilities and more. Generally our grants do not provide for the ongoing operation or core maintenance of community spaces.
Good planning is essential to making sure that the facility will meet your community’s needs. If you need help with this we can also provide grants to assist with getting advice and planning for your project. For further details please refer to our grants for Organisational development or contact us.
Most importantly, we want to understand what your needs and ideas are. Please talk to us.
What we look for
- Likelihood of helping more people to join in community life
- Accessibility, particularly for people with a disability
- Community and stakeholder support
- Good project planning
- Consideration of heritage and environmental factors
- Planning and building approvals
- Ability to manage and maintain the community space
- Long term viability
Documents we need
- A completed Lotterywest Grant Application Form
- Your latest Annual Report if you have one, or AGM minutes if you don’t and the most recent audited financial statements
- A copy of your Constitution
- Two written quotes (or one quantity survey/Architect's estimation)
- A community usage policy (outlining how community use will be managed)
- Approval from the land and/or building owners
- A project management plan (including risk management), minimum three-year management/operational plan and budget (for community spaces costing more than $100,000)
If your group is unincorporated, there are other things we need from you. Please refer to what we need.
Here are some examples of what our grants have helped:
- Creation of a skate park for young people
- Development of a playground for children
- Construction of a meeting space for a local community
- Fit out of an interpretive centre to promote understanding about our heritage
- Renovation of a family and neighbourhood centre where early learning for children is promoted
- Memorials marking our culture, heritage, and community sentiment
- Aged care residential facilities to support the well-being of residents (beyond what is required for the organisation to meet certification and accreditation standards)
- Design of a community garden to promote sustainable living
- Set up of a crèche inside a recreation centre so parents and carers can attend wellness programs
We offer many other types of grants, including for recreation trails and the places that community organisations need to do their work. If your idea does not seem to fit this grant area, our other may help.