Community events grants can help communities stage festivals, fairs, awareness days and other occasions to celebrate and share who they are and what they value.
Please note: Given the time sensitive nature of events, your application needs to be received at least four months before you need a decision from Lotterywest.
What we can support
- Lotterywest provides grants for big and small events that encourage communities to come together in celebration. These may include awareness days to promote an important cause as well as significant anniversaries or cultural events
- We may support the following event costs; publicity and advertising; hire of venues or equipment; entertainment; administrative needs and relevant salaries and consumables where costs can’t be met by other sources and community benefit is evident
- For events in small country towns of remote locations we may support the cost of travel and accommodation for entertainers
- Event grants are limited to up to $20,000 per organisation, for each financial year. An organisation holding a major event drawing high attendance that’s run in partnership with a local government, businesses or community organisation may apply for more
- Where we are approached for support towards similar events, consideration will be given to the potential for a combined approach
Note: Our grants do not support competitions, exhibitions or events of a commercial nature.
What we look for
- Community support
- Accessibility of the event to community members and clarity about who is being targeted
- Affordability of the event
- Potential to build a stronger community
- Possibility to help more people join in community life
- Suitable event facilities and resources
- Strong event planning, management (including risk) and evaluation
- Approved licenses and permits
- A sound budget and the inclusion of other income sources
Lotterywest is committed to achieving successful reconciliation outcomes. We encourage you to consider including an ‘Acknowledgement of Country’ and ‘Welcome to Country’ ceremony at your event.
Documents we need
- A completed Lotterywest Grant Application Form
- Your latest Annual Report if you have one, or AGM minutes if you don’t and the most recent audited financial statements
- A copy of your Constitution
- Two written quotes for items over $3,000; a written estimate, advertised price, or one written quote for items under $3,000 (low value, miscellaneous items can be grouped together to $1,000)
- An overview of the event program
- A project budget (that points out what Lotterywest support is requested for)
- An event management plan including your risk management strategy, and evaluation plan (relative to the size and nature of the event)
If your group is unincorporated, there are other things we need from you. Please refer to what we need.
- Special Events - A Managed Approach - Eventscorp
- Planning a Safe Public Event: Practical Guidelines - Australian Government Attorney General's Department
- Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor – for liquor licenses, raffle application forms and gaming activities
- Department of Mines and Petroleum – for fireworks permits
- Department of Commerce – for advice on collections for charitable purposes
- RSPCA – for codes of practice when holding an event that involves animals
This list is a guide only. Other guidelines or agencies may be useful resources as you plan your event